As you embark on your career development journey, we are here to provide support and guidance. We highly recommend attending our weekly drop-in career counseling as a first step to assist you in career development. You can meet with a CDS staff member for 30 mins during Drop-In Career Counseling for any of the following career counseling topics:
- Career Exploration: Explore how your personality, values, skills and interests match potential career pathways and what you can do with your major.
- Career Assessment Interpretation: Meet with a Career Counselor to discuss the results of your Career Finder, ONET assessment results.
- Resume/cover letter review: Obtain individual support from the Career Development Services staff with building/revising your resume/cover letter
- Job Search Strategies: Learn the best methods to obtain an internship/employment opportunity.
- Mock Interview: A 30-minute practice interview to prepare for graduate school admission or employment interview.
- Graduate school application planning: Meet with a CDS staff member to discuss the graduate school application process, planning, and preparation methods.
- Professional Networking: Learn how to develop professional networking skills to increase industry contacts in your field of interest.
- Salary Negotiation: Identify effective negotiation strategies to obtain a competitive salary and benefits appropriate for your experience and skills.
Summer Drop-In Career Counseling Schedule
June 15th-August 17th
Wednesdays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in Bell Tower 1548
Drop-In is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Drop-In sessions are limited to 30 minutes and appointments outside of drop-in hours are not available during the summer.
CDS offers 30-minute Skype appointments for students who are unable to visit the Career Development Center in person due to geographic or physical limitations. Skype appointments are limited to Drop-In Career Counseling dates and times in the summer. Please review our Skype instructions (PDF, 50 KB) on how to access our newest service and call 805-437-3270 to set-up your appointment.
Fall Drop-In Career Counseling Schedule
September 12th-December 2nd in Bell Tower 1548
Drop-In Career Counseling is not available: Nov 3, Nov 11 & November 24-26, 2016
Mondays 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesdays 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Thursdays 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Fridays 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Drop-In is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Drop-In sessions are limited to 30 minutes.
Beginning on August 29, 2016 currently enrolled students can also schedule 30-45 minute appointments if Drop-In Career Counseling hours do not work with your schedule. Please keep in mind that scheduled appointments are limited and based on staff availability.
Your appointment will be cancelled if you arrive 10+ minutes late*
CDS offers 30-minute Skype appointments for students who are unable to visit the Career Development Center in person due to geographic or physical limitations. Skype appointments for Alumni are limited to Drop-In Career Counseling dates and times. Please review our Skype instructions (PDF, 50 KB) on how to access our newest service and call 805-437-3270 to set-up your appointment.
Career Counseling Resources
CI does not discriminate in the educational programs or activities it conducts on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, nationality, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, religion, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, medical condition, or special disabled veteran status, Vietnam-era veteran status or other covered veteran status.
The University encourages persons with disabilities to participate in its programs and activities. If you anticipate needing any type of accommodation, or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact Disability Resource Programs at (805) 437-3331 or firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, but no later than 7 business days prior to the event.