Federal assistance is typically based on financial need with no obligation for work or repayment. The following federal grants are available at CSU Channel Islands:

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is available to students who are pursuing their first undergraduate degree. Students must meet the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) requirement and must demonstrate financial need to be eligible for this grant. The award amount is based on the student’s EFC and number of units enrolled. Students pursuing a teaching credential may also be eligible for this grant and are required to be enrolled at least half-time (6 units) each semester.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a grant awarded to undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional financial need and are enrolled full-time. Funding for this grant is very limited; first priority is given to students who apply by the March 2 priority filing date.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is a federal need based program administered by the Financial Aid office. Funding is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

The program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student's course of study.

To be considered for a FWS award, you must meet the eligibility criteria:

  • Must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
  • Must demonstrate federal need according to the Financial Aid office policy
  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 6 units or more

The amount of FWS indicated on your award is the maximum amount you may earn during the academic year. The award cannot be applied to any University fees. A FWS award is not disbursed in a lump sum, but through monthly paychecks for hours worked.

Back to Top ↑