Where is your office located and what are your office hours?

Visit the Contact Us for details on the Financial Aid & Scholarship office's contact information, location, hours, and staff.

What is CSU Channel Islands Federal School Code?

The CSU Channel Islands Federal School Code is 039803

Who is eligible to receive federal financial aid?

To receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements including:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • have a valid Social Security Number
  • register with Selective Service if you are male and 18 to 25 years of age
  • have a high school diploma or GED
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at a school that participates in the federal student aid programs

How do I apply for financial aid?

Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act Application (CADAA) between October 1 and March 2 (state priority deadline) of the year you wish to enroll. You may submit your FAFSA after the March 2 application deadline; however, financial aid funds may be limited.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money that is given, paid or loaned to you to help pay for your college costs. There are several types of financial aid for college students:

  • Grants & Scholarships - are given as awards and do not require repayment.
  • Loans - are borrowed from a lending institution. You are required to repay the loans with interest and loan related fees.
  • Work-Study Employment - is on-campus and approved off-campus employment, which allows you to earn money for your education.

What happens once I complete my FAFSA?

If you listed the CSU Channel Islands federal school code on your FAFSA (039803), the federal processor will transmit your data to our school electronically within one to two weeks after you submit your application. Make sure to carefully review your Student Aid Report (SAR) and check that you submitted the most accurate information. Your SAR will also notify you of any additional information you may be required to submit to the Financial Aid & Scholarships office.

What types of financial aid will I be considered for?

If you submitted your FAFSA or CADAA, your eligibility will be automatically reviewed for various types of aid starting with federal, state and institutional grant or gift aid followed by federal loan options (if applicable). You may log into your myCI portal to review your financial aid offer and confirm which types of aid you qualified for.

How does CSU Channel Islands determine my need?

When you (and your parents if you are a dependent student) completed the FAFSA, an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) was calculated for you. You were also assigned a Cost of Attendance, which is based on your at-home, on-campus, or off-campus residency. Your need was determined by subtracting your Expected Family Contribution from your Budget. We also used your EFC to determine your eligibility for certain grants. Cost of Attendance - Expected Family Contribution = Financial Need

What does it cost to attend CSU Channel Islands?

You may view the most current Cost of Attendance figures.

Why is my parent's information required?

Your dependency status determines whose information you must report on the FAFSA.

  • If you're a dependent student, you will report yours and your parents' information. Providing information on the FAFSA does not mean your parents are obligated to assist with college costs.
  • If you're an independent student, you will report your own information (and, if you're married, your spouse's). Learn more about your dependency status.

If I do not live with my parents, will I be considered an independent student?

You must meet at least one of the FAFSA independent student criteria in order to be considered “independent” for financial aid purposes, whether or not you physically live with your parents may not make a difference. Learn more about what would qualify you as an independent student.

What can I do if I am financially independent from my parents?

The FAFSA uses a unique definition of "Independent." If you answered NO to all the dependency questions on the FAFSA, you must provide parent information to complete the FAFSA.

What if I cannot provide my parents' information?

If you are unable to obtain your parents' information, or if you believe you qualify for a dependency override, you should speak with a financial aid counselor. Learn more

What does it mean to be "selected for verification"?

Students are selected at random by the Department of Education and they are required to submit additional documentation to the Financial Aid Office in order to receive their financial aid. By checking their "To Do" list on their myCI portal, the student will be able know exactly what documentation is required. Be sure to submit your documentation by the published deadline date if you are selected for verification. Your Student Aid Report (SAR) will also indicate whether or not you were selected for verification, be sure to read through your SAR carefully.

How do I request a tax transcript?

You may request a FREE of charge federal tax return transcript from the IRS:

For more detailed information on how to request a federal tax transcript, please visit the IRS website.

How much financial aid can I receive?

Students and their families are expected to contribute to the cost of college to the extent that they are able. Your eligibility for aid depends on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), your year in school, your enrollment status, and the cost of attendance at the school you will be attending.

How will I receive my financial aid?

Each semester, we begin disbursing financial aid on a specific date. After this date, Student Business Services (SBS) conducts weekly disbursements. Before your aid is disbursed, you must submit all requested documents, accept your aid (via myCI) and enroll in the required number of units. You must also allow time for the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office to review your verification documents and make any necessary corrections to your FAFSA data.

When will I receive my financial aid refund check?

Your financial aid funds will be disbursed to your student account if you are enrolled in sufficient units. You must also meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to financial aid policy. Disbursements will occur on a weekly basis starting the first week of classes. Financial aid refund checks are processed by the Student Business Services (SBS) office and may take up to 10 business days after your financial aid disburses to your student account.

What does financial aid pay for?

Depending on your eligibility, financial can be used to pay educational expenses including tuition fees, books and supplies, food, housing, transportation, and some personal expenses while you attend college.

How will my financial aid cover my On Campus Housing fees?

The University applies your financial aid first to tuition and fees, second to housing fees and third to any other outstanding payments that may be due.

The FAFSA asks for the prior tax year information, what if the income reported on the FAFSA has changed since I filed the FAFSA?

If you or your parents' income will be substantially less than the income reported on the FAFSA, you may request to have your circumstances reviewed. You should also meet with a financial aid counselor to discuss the changes in your income. Learn more

How do I schedule an appointment to meet with my counselor?

The Financial Aid & Scholarships office has scheduled walk-in counseling hours where students can meet with the designated counselor on call; however, students may email their assigned counselor directly to schedule an individual appointment if they do not wish to meet with the counselor on call during walk-in hours. To check our walk-in counseling hours and confirm who your assigned counselor is, please visit the Contact Us webpage.

How do I apply for scholarships?

Students may apply for on-campus scholarships during the scholarship application period which begins in January and ends March 2nd of each year. Students need to log into their myCI portal and click on “CI Scholarships” to apply for the various on-campus scholarship opportunities. Students can also visit the scholarships webpage to learn more.

I received an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes. If you are receiving any outside private scholarships from the university, government, or private sources, you are required to report these funds to the Financial Aid & Scholarships office.

How many units do I need to take to remain eligible for financial aid?

The number of units you must maintain is determined by the type of aid you receive. Please refer to the unit requirements in the following aid category descriptions. For an Undergraduate or Credential Classification: Full time is 12 or more units, three quarter time is 9 to 11 units, half time is 6 to 8 units, and less than half time is fewer than 6 units. For a Graduate Classification: Full time is 8 graduate level units, half time is 3 graduate level units, and less than half time is fewer than 3 graduate units.

Will I lose my financial aid if I withdraw from a semester or drop a class?

Most aid is based upon full time enrollment. If you drop classes during the Add/Drop period, the Financial Aid & Scholarships office may adjust some of your financial aid to the appropriate enrollment level. You may be required to repay the difference between the full-time aid amount and the adjusted amount. If you must fully withdraw from a semester, the Financial Aid office is required to recalculate your financial aid eligibility. You may be required to repay a portion of your financial aid that was disbursed to you.

What is the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy at CI?

The Financial Aid & Scholarships office will measure your academic progress at the end of each semester. Financial aid recipients are expected to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards at the end of each semester in which they were enrolled. There are three components measured in the SAP policy; 1) Cumulative Grade Point Average; 2) Pace - percentage of cumulative units taken which must be passed; 3) Maximum timeframe and time limit, which includes the maximum number of earned units based on program requirements and maximum number of semesters a student can attend. Refer to the following chart for guidelines specific to your student type.

CSU Channel Islands - Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards:

Student TypeCumulative GPAPaceTimeframe/Time Limit
Undergraduate2.0067%Maximum 180 Units/ 7.5 years
Postbaccalaureate (2nd BA, Credential)2.5075%Varies Per Academic Program
Postbaccalaureate (Graduate)3.0080%Varies Per Academic Program

Can I continue to receive financial aid if I do not pass all of my classes?

Students must meet the requirements outlined in the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy in order to continue receiving financial aid each semester. Students who do not meet SAP standards will be notified of their Satisfactory Academic Progress standing at the end of each semester after official grades have posted.

How do I accept/apply for a student loan? Is there a separate application?

You may view your Financial Aid Award on-line at myCI > CI Records > Self Service > Student Center > in the "Finances" section > View Financial Aid and select the appropriate aid year. If you are accepting a federal student loan and are first time borrower at CSU Channel Islands, you must go to StudentAid.gov to complete a Master Promissory Note and Loan Entrance Counseling. If you are a continuing student and have previously borrowed loans at CI, you only need to "accept" your loans through your myCI.

What are Loan Entrance Counseling (LEC) and a Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

Loan Entrance Counseling (LEC) explains the obligations the student agrees to meet as a condition of receiving a Direct Loan. Topics include understanding your loans, managing your spending, repayment terms, avoiding default on your loan, and making finances a priority. Loan Entrance Counseling is only required for student borrowers not for parent borrowers. The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is the written contract between the borrower and the Department of Education and explains the terms and conditions of the loan. An MPN can be used to borrow one or more loans for one or more academic years (up to 10 years). There are two types of MPNs in the Direct Loan Program: one for Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans and one for Direct PLUS Loans.

What steps do I need to take to accept my Parent PLUS Loan?

Parent Plus Loans cannot be accepted by the student on their online portal. Parents who are interested in borrowing a Parent PLUS loan must complete an application at StudentAid.gov to determine if they will qualify based on their credit history. If approved, a first-time parent borrower must also complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN).

I'm being offered a loan, but I wish to make changes to the loan amount, what must I do?

If your loan funds have not been disbursed to your student account and you wish to reduce/cancel the amount of your loan(s), you may do so through your myCI portal when you initially accept/reject your loan(s).

How do I make changes to my loan amount(s) if the funds have already been disbursed to my student account?

If you wish to increase and/or cancel a portion or all of your student loan after the funds have been disbursed to your student account, you must complete and submit the Loan Change Form located in our Financial Aid Forms library.

I'm receiving a private loan, is there a way to transfer the money from my lender/bank to CI?

If you applied for a private loan and wish to receive these funds at CSUCI, you will need to complete a Private Loan Request Form located in our financial aid forms library for each academic year that you wish to receive a private loan. The Financial Aid & Scholarships office will certify that you are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), you are enrolled in sufficient units (typically at least half-time units), and that the funds you requested fit within your cost of attendance. After your loan is certified with the lender, please allow 10-15 business days for the loan to be disbursed to your student account due to a consumer protection federal regulation that prohibits the lender from disbursing funds until 10-day cancellation period has passed.

What do I do if my financial aid is not enough to pay my charges?

If your aid is not sufficient to pay your University charges, you are responsible for paying the remaining balance. Visit the Student Business Services (SBS) website for more information on payment options.

What is the difference between the Financial Aid Office and the Student Business Services (SBS) office?

The Financial Aid office is primarily responsible for processing your financial aid award and determining the amount of assistance you may receive. The SBS office applies financial aid to your student account, manages payments on your student account, and processes refunds as appropriate.

I am enrolled through an Extended University program, what steps do I need to take to receive Financial Aid?

Financial Aid is available to students admitted to undergraduate and graduate degree programs. You may be eligible for Grants, Loans and Scholarships to help make college an affordable experience. To determine your eligibility, you must first file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list CSU Channel Islands as an institution to receive your information. For more information regarding Extended University (EU), please visit the EU website.

Why do I need to complete a FERPA Authorization Form?

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1976, as amended and contained in the Code of Federal Regulations (34 CFS 99, subpart D99.30), requires a written and dated consent from any student (18 years of age or older) before disclosing personal identifiable information from the student's education/financial records to a third party. Under FERPA regulations, the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office reserves the right to withhold financial information from a third party. Students who wish to grant designated individuals the authorization to speak with a Financial Aid representative regarding the students' financial aid offer must complete the FERPA Online: Authorize to Release form through CI Records each academic year. Learn more

Can I receive financial aid during the summer session?

Students may receive financial assistance during a summer session as long as a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is on file and the student has not used up all of their financial aid eligibility (e.g. Grants, loans, etc.) during the prior Fall and Spring terms.

What is CSU Channel Islands Cohort Default Rate

CSU Channel Islands FY 2018 3-Year Cohort Default Rate is 2.8%. CSUCI's 3-Year Cohort Default Rate is well below the National Average Rate of 7.3% for FY 2018. 

What are the financial aid processing turnaround times?

Please refer to the following processing timeframes. Note the varying processing turnaround times for requests and/or submission of information. Incomplete or discrepant information may delay the following time frames. All information is reviewed in the order it is received.

  • Documentation Review (students selected for verification*) = 4-6 weeks upon submission
  • Loan Requests (Parent/Grad PLUS, Private Loans, Loan Change Forms) = 30 business days
  • Income Adjustment Appeal = 30 business days
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal = 30 business days
  • Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) Appeal = 30 business days
  • External Scholarship Processing = 2-4 weeks upon receipt

*Students are randomly selected for the Verification process by the Department of Education (ED) or the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and may also be selected by the Financial Aid & Scholarships office. If you are selected for verification, you are first notified by ED or CSAC and also notified by the Financial Aid & Scholarships office via your myCI email. Requested items will be displayed on the myCI To Do list until the items have been received in the Financial Aid & Scholarships office.

For other processing time frames and/or to check your financial status, please contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships office at financial.aid@csuci.edu.

Coordination of Resources Disclosure

The Financial Aid & Scholarships office is responsible for coordinating student resources for the campus. Federal and state regulations require the coordination of all financial aid awards with all resources, including external (private) scholarships and grants, fellowships, fee waivers, including the Cal-Vet fee waiver, stipends, and vocational rehabilitation and other educational benefits. All Title IV programs (federally-funded financial aid), other federal, and non-federal programs must be monitored in conjunction with all available information on student resources to avoid financial aid overawards. An overaward occurs when the total of a student’s financial aid and aid resources exceed the cost of attendance, or annual budget.

The Financial Aid & Scholarships office has an established process to ensure compliance with the financial aid award and student resource coordination requirements. Our process helps prevent overawards because an overaward can result in a student having to repay aid for which they are ineligible. *All University Departments are required to submit all student scholarships to the Financial Aid & Scholarships office for processing.

Back to Top ↑