Where can I find Veteran or Dependent residency information?  

Active-duty military and their dependents, as well as veterans may qualify for a tuition exemption. More specific information is at the link below: 


Where do I go to apply for my GI educational benefits?

If you have never applied for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits, please contact the VA directly. The VA will determine your eligibility.

VA Education website: http://www.gibill.va.gov

How many units do I need to receive VA educational benefits at CI?

  • 12 or more units:  full-time
  • 9 - 11.5 units: three-quarter time
  • 6-8 units:  half-time
  • 1-5 units:  no benefits

How much is my monthly benefit?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® offers several education assistance benefits. The three major benefits include up to 100% paid tuition no matter what education level you are seeking, a monthly housing stipend, and a stipend of up to $1,000 a year for books and supplies. If you attend less than full-time you will receive a portion of the payment based on the number of units of study.

Tuition and Fees - Payments will be made to the school (of your choice) for all established charges. Tuition and fee payments are uncapped for public colleges and universities (at the in-state resident rates). The amount of established charges payable for the entire quarter, semester or term will be sent directly to the school as a lump sum payment.

Housing Stipend - The monthly housing stipend will be paid based on the monthly basic allowance for housing (BAH) payable for a military member with dependents in pay grade E-5 residing in the same ZIP code for the school where the individual is enrolled (Ventura County: $1,911.00). Active duty members and individuals training at half-time or less are not eligible for a housing stipend. The housing stipend is subject to prorating based on the number of credits being taken and number of months served on active duty.

The housing stipend is payable to students enrolled solely in distance learning (this includes online education), the housing allowance is half the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents (the rate will be $673.50 for 2011).

Book Stipend - You may receive a stipend of up to $1,000 a year for books, supplies, etc. The individual will receive a lump sum payment in the first month of each quarter, semester or term. The amount of the stipend payable is an amount equal to the fraction of the whole academic year that the quarter, semester or term represents. This stipend will be available to active duty members and their eligible dependents after October 1, 2011.

NOTE: The amount of the monthly housing and book stipends will be paid based on the percentage of maximum benefit payable and rate of pursuit.

How will I receive my benefit checks?

You can receive your monies via direct deposit. If a bank account is not available, the VA will send a check to your home address or post office box. If you are requesting direct deposit, please contact the VA directly.

If you have questions regarding payment of your monthly stipends, please contact the USDVA Educational Services office at 1-888-442-4551.

How does the Veterans Administration know what I am doing?

We will notify the Veterans Administration regarding your status. It is important to notify us of any changes in enrollment status, address, major, etc. in a timely manner. You may visit the Veterans Resource Center (VRC), which is located in the Bell Tower, or call us at 805-437-3524.

What happens if I fail a class?

We will contact you to determine whether the "F" is due to lack of attendance or the inability to complete the coursework based on University standards. If the "F" was given for attendance reasons, you will be requested to notify staff at the VRC of your last date of attendance which will be reported to the Veterans Administration. Please note that this instance may result in an over-payment.

What if am academically disqualified from attending CI?

The VRC must notify the Department of Veterans Affairs whenever a veteran or dependent is academically disqualified at the end of the semester. Please note that benefits will be suspended immediately.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Yes, please visit our Financial Aid office located in Sage Hall. You may call the Financial Aid office at 805-437-8530 or visit the Financial Aid Web page.

Do I need to do anything if I will be continuing and attending the next semester at CI?

Yes. If you are planning to attend CI next semester, please notify the VRC so that we can process and submit your enrollment certification to the VA.

Do I need to submit all my transcripts to CI?

Please submit all your transcripts from other educational institutions and military transcripts, CLEP scores, SMART transcripts, ACE transcripts, to Enrollment Services for transfer credit evaluation.

Are all my CI fees covered by the California Veterans Fee Waiver?

No. Although the California Veterans Fee Waiver waives all system-wide mandatory tuition fees for dependents of disabled veterans, students are responsible for campus fees, course fees and all other costs of education.

Does CI accept military transcripts?

Based on the University Catalog, "Credit will be allowed toward graduation to any student submitting evidence (DD214 or DD 295) of satisfactory completion of basic training. Students with service in the Air Force, Army, and Coast Guard will receive 4 units of credit. Students with service in the Marine Corps will earn 8 units of credit. Credit is allowed in accordance with the recommendation by the American Council on Education (ACE). Other military courses completed may earn baccalaureate credit as outlined in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Forces. CI has final discretion on where these units will be applied". 

Back to Top ↑