Need Help Now?

If you would like to speak to or text a clinician immediately, Counseling and Psychological Services can help!

Black couch and brown cabinet

Table of Contents

[back to top]

Where is Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) located?

CAPS is located in Bell Tower East 1867.

[back to top]

When to ask for help

Sometimes personal or psychological problems require more assistance than can be found within your own circle of support. CAPS offers counseling for students who are struggling with issues related to family, social and romantic relationships, life transitions, sexuality, grief, stress, sexual assault, anxiety, loss of motivation, depression, eating disorders, and substance use concerns. If you are dealing with any of these concerns or need professional help in general, please come in or call for an initial consultation.

[back to top]

How do I make an appointment?

Call 805-437- 2088 or email and we will get back to you within one business day. For urgent matters during our regular business hours, students can be seen immediately.

[back to top]

What if I make an appointment and decide I don’t need help?

Pressure that prompts you to seek help can ease a bit and it may seem unnecessary to go for counseling. However, these same issues tend to recur until resolved. If you need to miss an appointment please call to cancel as soon as possible.

[back to top]

Is CAPS just about counseling sessions?

No, not at all! A major part of a college education is the "life lessons" we receive through experience. CAPS offers educational services to help students with “Life 101.” In addition to providing individual, couples, and group counseling, CAPS conducts workshops and is available to work with campus groups and organizations. This includes lectures in classes and working together with many campus offices and programs to support students’ learning in the classroom and in life. Any issue, big or small, is appropriate to discuss.

[back to top]

When should I visit CAPS?

Here are some examples of when you should definitely visit CAPS:

  • When you feel trapped or that there is nowhere to turn
  • When you worry all the time and never seem to find the answers
  • When the way you feel is affecting your sleep, your eating habits, your job, your relationships, your classes, and how you take care of yourself in everyday life
  • When you feel depressed and can’t seem to pull out of it

[back to top]

What if I need psychiatric medication?

CAPS contracts with a board-certified psychiatrist on a limited basis for those students that require evaluation and administration of psychotropic medication. Additionally, CAPS maintains a referral list of psychiatrists in the local area. The CSU Healthlink student insurance program covers psychiatric visits for certain conditions.

[back to top]

What can I accomplish in short-term counseling?

Our goal is to help you learn how to help yourself. We’re familiar with the University and what it’s like to be a student here, both the good and not-so-good parts. This gives us the inside track in supporting you as a person and as a student. You might be surprised at how much can be accomplished. CAPS can work together with outside therapists, too, for your benefit.

[back to top]

How can I refer someone for counseling?

Faculty, staff, friends or family will often notice changes in a student before the student does, resulting in concern and a desire to refer them for counseling. We suggest that you first talk with the student, express your concerns and encourage the student to call or visit CAPS to make an appointment. If appropriate, you may make the call and let the student schedule a session. If desired, you may walk the student over to the office and provide support. You can also call and consult with a counselor regarding how to refer an individual who may be reluctant to seek help.

[back to top]

Who provides the counseling?

All counseling services are provided by licensed Psychologists, Marriage and Family Therapists (MFT), and licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW). There are also clinicians in our practicum training program who are completing graduate degrees and are closely supervised by licensed clinicians.

[back to top]

Are there after-hour emergency services?
In the case of an emergency, please call 911or go to your nearest emergency room. Other CRISIS resources include:
CSUCI’s 24/7 Crisis Support

  • Call the CAPS main office at 805-437-2088. After the greeting, select option 2 or
  • Utilize the National Text Support by doing the following:
    • Text ‘Hello’ to 741741 from anywhere in the U.S. a crisis counselor receives the text and responds quickly

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call 800-273-8255

Rape Crisis Center for Ventura County: Call 800-300-2181 for services regarding Sexual Assault or Domestic Violence

[back to top]

Where can I find more information about privacy practices?

CAPS is staffed by a team of mental health professionals to assist you in addressing your mental health concerns. In order to provide you with the highest quality of care we utilize an integrated treatment approach. Our interdisciplinary team of clinicians works collaboratively to optimize your wellness through seamless prevention and intervention. We value the privacy of our clients and the confidentiality of the personal and health information entrusted to us. In order to protect your personal health information, we have policies and procedures regarding disclosure of your Personal Health Information (PHI). For the full notice of privacy practices (PDF, 110 KB).

[back to top]

I have a question not covered here in the FAQ – who should I ask?

Call us at 805-437-2088. You may also email questions to CAPS at However, we do not offer counseling sessions via email.

[back to top]

I want to give feedback to CAPS, how can I do that?

We are interested in feedback about your experiences with CAPS. Please feel free to highlight a staff member who provided you with exceptional service at CAPS. We also welcome critical feedback so that we can improve our services. Please feel free to submit this form or contact the CAPS Director, Dr. Kirsten Olson with your feedback. She can be reached at or 805-437-2088. Thank you for your time in giving us the opportunity to work with you.


The Board of Behavioral Sciences receives and responds to complaints regarding services provided within the scope of practice of (marriage and family therapists, licensed educational psychologists, clinical social workers, or professional clinical counselors). You may contact the board online at, or by calling 916-574-7830.


The Department of Consumer Affairs’ Board of Psychology receives and responds to questions and complaints regarding the practice of psychology. If you have questions or complaints you may contact the Board on the Internet at, by e-mailing, calling 1-866-503-3221 or writing to the following address: Board of Psychology 1625 North Market Blvd, Suite N-215 Sacramento, CA 95834

[back to top]

How do I request my records from CAPS?

At times, current and former students need documentation of the services they received at CAPS. We are committed to providing clients with timely and open access to their own clinical records consistent with the spirit of the Cures Act, Open Notes provision. Currently, our Electronic Health Record system, Titanium, does not have the option for clients to directly access their clinical records.

If you want access to your mental health records or documentation that you attended CAPS for any reason, please contact us so that we can assist you with your request.

Sometimes students are unclear about whether they need their entire clinical record or whether a summary letter or phone call to a new provider could be more helpful in coordinating care. If you would like, we can confirm the nature of your request to assure we are sending the correct information for your needs. However, you still have direct access to your clinical record even without consulting with a CAPS clinician.

If you would like a copy of your records sent to you, another clinician or third party, please complete the form at the following link:

Whether you want your entire clinical record and/or a summary letter, we will make every effort to provide you with your records within 48 business hours. If you have any questions about requesting your records or need your records sooner than 48 hours, please contact CAPS at or 805-437-2088.

[back to top]

Back to Top ↑