FAQ for Course Withdrawal

What is a Course Withdrawal or Term Withdrawal?

A course withdrawal refers to any course(s) that a student drops after the first three weeks of the semester. A grade of "W" will appear on the transcript to denote the change to their enrollment. A complete withdrawal from all classes is referred to a Term Withdrawal. You can read more information about our withdrawal procedures here.

Is there a limit to the number of units I can withdraw from?

The withdrawal limit for undergraduates is 18 units. This policy does not apply to post-baccalaureates- including those seeking a second BA/BS degree. Prior to Fall 2009, there was no withdrawal limit. Any withdrawals that occurred before the limit was established will be excluded from the 18 unit limit.

FAQ for Repeats and Averaging Grades

What is a Course Repeat (a.k.a. Grade Forgiveness)?

Also known as Grade Forgiveness, a course taken for repeat is retaken because a prior attempt was not acceptable for completion of a requirement- or to improve the student's GPA. Once the course has been retaken and graded, the original attempt is removed from the GPA. Course Repeats are allowed if the first attempt has an insufficient grade of one of the following: "C-," "D+," "D," "D-," "F," "WU," or "IC."

How many times can I repeat a course?

Undergraduate students may repeat an individual course for grade forgiveness no more than once or two (2)attempts total. Prior to Fall 2013, courses could be repeated more than twice in an undergraduate career.

How many units can I repeat?

Undergraduate students may repeat a total of twelve (12) semester units taken at Channel Islands for forgiveness. Beyond the twelve (12) units, an additional twelve (12) units will be averaged in the total GPA. Therefore, students will be held to a total of twenty-four (24) units. 

If your last attempt of a repeated course was in Fall 2013, you may be granted 16 units for grade forgiveness. Students already at the previous maximum of 16 units will not be allowed to repeat further courses for grade forgiveness. Please contact records.registration@csuci.edu if you have questions about this.

What is Grade Averaging?

Grade Averaging means that both the first and subsequent attempt will be included in attempted units and grade points. The student can only earn units for the class once. For example, a student who took ART 102 (3 units) and earned a D grade during their first attempt and retook it and earned a B grade, will have combined grade units. The averaged grade will be equivalent to a C grade. The student would earn only 3 units for ART 102 (one attempt of the course would be excluded from earned units).

What is the current policy toward grade forgiveness?

The updated policy on Grade Forgiveness may be found at:

http://senate.csuci.edu/policies/2012-2013/senate-policy-12-02.pdf (PDF, 45.4 KB)

The Forgiveness of Previously Earned Grade (Repeat & Delete) Policy (SP 12-02) supersedes ‘repetition of courses’ policies in Executive Order 1037, EO Nos. 795, 320 and 213 and CI Policy SP 08-09.

Are there any exceptions to the unit limitations for withdrawals, grade forgiveness/grades averaged?

Yes, exceptions can arise depending on the student's situation. Channel Islands will provide a petition process so that the unit limits could be extended. A common reason for this would be medical issues beyond the student's control. Please note: A set processing time will be required before the exception can be reflected in the student's totals.

How can I obtain my withdrawal or repeat totals each term?

The student records system has a Repeat "counter" which will appear and be updated each term at the time of final grade posting. Students can refer to their Student Center at CI Records to view their withdrawal and repeat totals.

For instructions, please visit: Withdrawal and Repeats totals 

What do I do if I think my course repeat unit totals are incorrect?

Questions regarding the accuracy of totals should be referred to our email address: records.registration@csuci.edu

FAQ for Course "Incomplete" Grades

What does it mean to get an Incomplete ("I") grade in a course?

An incomplete grade ("I") indicates that an extension of the assignment of a final grade from the professor has been approved because the student has not completed a portion of required course work. Reasons for the request usually indicate an unforeseen and justifiable interruption occurred during that course. Once an instructor and student agree on the terms and deadlines of completion, no later than one academic year, a "contract" is signed.

What is the current policy toward "Incomplete" grades?

To view the new Channel Islands policy on incompletes, please visit:


What are the new Incomplete grade/course enrollment limits?

All students already enrolled in a class with an "I" grade will not be allowed to re-enroll in the class in a future term UNTIL the incomplete has been converted to a grade.

What if the course is repeatable for credit?

A repeatable course should not normally keep a student from enrolling as long as the student has not exceeded the number of attempts allowed in the catalog.

Are there any exceptions?

Students can always contact their instructor to make arrangements to finish the original incomplete prior to the agreed upon deadline. A delay may ensue if the advance registration process conflicts with the grading of the first attempt.

In the cases in which a student does not want to complete a prior "I" contract for the course in question, he/she can file a Petition for Exception to have an incomplete grade forced to lapse early- resulting in an "IC" grade. An "IC" grade is equivalent to an "F".

What do I do if I think my incomplete is preventing my enrollment in a class?

Students experiencing problems with registration in repeatable classes should visit the Enrollment Center, first floor, Sage Hall; or email records.registration@csuci.edu for assistance.