FAQ for Course Withdrawal

What is a Course Withdrawal or Term Withdrawal?

A course withdrawal refers to any course(s) that a student drops after the first three weeks of the semester. A grade of "W" will appear on the transcript to denote the change to their enrollment. A complete withdrawal from all classes is referred to a Term Withdrawal. You can read more information about our withdrawal procedures here.

Is there a limit to the number of units I can withdraw from?

The withdrawal limit for undergraduates is 18 units. This policy does not apply to post-baccalaureates- including those seeking a second BA/BS degree. Prior to Fall 2009, there was no withdrawal limit. Any withdrawals that occurred before the limit was established will be excluded from the 18 unit limit.

FAQ for Repeats and Averaging Grades

What is a Course Repeat (a.k.a. Grade Forgiveness)?

Also known as Grade Forgiveness,  a course repeat is the repetition of a course for the sake of improving upon an earlier unsatisfactory performance in which the new grade replaces the old grade in the calculation of the grade point average (GPA).  Course Repeats are allowed if the first attempt has an insufficient grade of one of the following: "C-," "D+," "D," "D-," "F," "WU," or "IC."

How many times can I repeat a course?

Undergraduate students may repeat an individual course for grade forgiveness no more than once or two (2)attempts total. Prior to Fall 2013, courses could be repeated more than twice in an undergraduate career.

How many units can I repeat?

Beginning Fall 2018, undergraduate students may repeat a total of sixteen (16) semester units taken at Channel Islands for forgiveness. Beyond the sixteen (16) units, an additional twelve (12) units will be averaged in the total GPA. Therefore, students will be held to a total of twenty-eight (28) units. 

Please contact registrar@csuci.edu if you have questions about repeat maximums.  

What is Grade Averaging?

Grading averaging is the repetition of a course for the sake of improving upon an earlier unsatisfactory performance in which the new grade does not replace the old grade(s) in the calculation of the student’s GPA, and instead all grades are use in the GPA calculation.  Courses are repeated for grade averaging after the limit of repetitions for grade forgiveness has been exhausted.

What is the current policy on course repeats?

The current policy on course repeats can be found in the University Catalog, under the Grades, Honors and Awards section.

Are there any exceptions to the unit limitations for withdrawals, grade forgiveness/grades averaged?

Yes, exceptions can arise depending on the student's situation. Channel Islands will provide a petition process so that the unit limits could be extended. A common reason for this would be medical issues beyond the student's control. Please note: A set processing time will be required before the exception can be reflected in the student's totals.

How can I obtain my withdrawal or repeat totals each term?

The student records system has a Repeat "counter" which will appear and be updated each term at the time of final grade posting. Students can refer to their Student Center at CI Records to view their withdrawal and repeat totals.

For instructions, please visit: Withdrawal and Repeats totals 

What do I do if I think my course repeat unit totals are incorrect?

Questions regarding the accuracy of totals should be referred to our email address: registrar@csuci.edu

FAQ for Course "Incomplete" Grades

What does it mean to get an Incomplete ("I") grade in a course?

An incomplete grade ("I") indicates that an extension of the assignment of a final grade from the professor has been approved because the student has not completed a portion of required course work. Reasons for the request usually indicate an unforeseen and justifiable interruption occurred during that course. Once an instructor and student agree on the terms and deadlines of completion, no later than one academic year, a "contract" is signed.

What is the current policy toward "Incomplete" grades?

To view the new Channel Islands policy on incompletes, please visit: https://policy.csuci.edu/sp/3/sp-03-018.htm

What are the new Incomplete grade/course enrollment limits?

All students already enrolled in a class with an "I" grade will not be allowed to re-enroll in the class in a future term UNTIL the incomplete has been converted to a grade.

What if the course is repeatable for credit?

A repeatable course should not normally keep a student from enrolling as long as the student has not exceeded the number of attempts allowed in the catalog.

Are there any exceptions?

Students can always contact their instructor to make arrangements to finish the original incomplete prior to the agreed upon deadline. A delay may ensue if the advance registration process conflicts with the grading of the first attempt.

In the cases in which a student does not want to complete a prior "I" contract for the course in question, he/she can file a Petition for Exception to have an incomplete grade forced to lapse early- resulting in an "IC" grade. An "IC" grade is equivalent to an "F".

What do I do if I think my incomplete is preventing my enrollment in a class?

Students experiencing problems with registration in repeatable classes should visit the Enrollment Center, first floor, Sage Hall; or email registrar@csuci.edu for assistance.

Back to Top ↑