Table of Contents

New Students

What are the differences between high school and college?

  1. Your Individualized Education Program (IEP) will end when you graduate high school.
  2. Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) ends and Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) take effect.
  3. Colleges and universities do not identify students with disabilities. Instead, you must self-identify as a qualified person with a disability and make a request for accommodations.
  4. Colleges and universities are not required to conduct testing for students suspected of having disabilities. You need to be prepared to provide documents to DASS when seeking services and discuss with the DASS Transition and Retention Counselor.
  5. If you request accommodations in classes, instructors receive a brief summary highlighting your accommodation plan; however, they are not provided confidential information regarding your disability-related diagnosis.

For additional information, please read this helpful guide below:
A Practical Guide for People with Disabilities Who Want to Go to College (PDF, 368KB)

How do I register to receive disability resources and accommodations?

To register for services, please visit our Appy for Services page.

Can I receive housing accommodations?

Yes, for more information visit our Housing Accommodations page. 

Does DASS provide testing for students who may have a disability?

No, DASS does not provide testing; however, we can provide resources to community agencies who conduct testing for various disabilities.

Does DASS provide tutoring services?

No. However, tutoring services are available for all students at on campus (Learning Resource Center, Writing Center, STEM Center, etc.)

Will my transcripts show that I received services or accommodations from DASS?

No, your transcripts will not indicate that you were registered with DASS or received accommodations.

Is my disability information confidential?

DASS staff adheres to the highest principles of ethical behavior. Staff members strive to ensure the fair, objective and impartial treatment of all persons. DASS is committed to ensuring that all information regarding a student is confidentially maintained as required or permitted by law.

Any information regarding a disability is considered confidential and will be shared with others within the University on a need-to-know basis only. Information contained in the confidential student files will be released only in the following circumstances:

  • Student states the intent to harm self or others.
  • Pursuant to a court order or subpoena.
  • Student has provided written authorization for release of information.

Students do not have to disclose specific information about their disabilities to faculty members; they must only provide them with the Faculty Notification Letter obtained from DASS that informs and identifies the types of accommodation(s) that will be necessary to participate in the course.

Current Students

I have approved accommodations through DASS, do I need to meet with a counselor every semester to continue receiving my accommodations?

No, DASS does not require students to meet with a counselor every semester. In order to continue receiving accommodations, students must login to DASS Online and add their classes for which they would like to receive accommodations.

What if I have a request for a new accommodation?

You will need to schedule an appointment with a DASS counselor to discuss your request for a new accommodation. If your new accommodation request is not supported by your existing documentation, the counselor may request additional documentation.

How are my professors notified about my approved accommodations?

DASS will send a notification letter via email to your professors regarding your approved accommodations. DASS will only send notification letters to the professors of classes you have requested accommodations for.

Can I request to use my approved accommodations at any point during the semester?

Yes, approved accommodations can be requested at any point during the semester. However, we encourage students to place their accommodation requests prior to the start of the semester to ensure reasonable processing time to secure services.


What are the differences between high school and college for my student with a disability?

The primary law under which services in K-12 schools are provided is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Under this law, schools tailor the curriculum around the students and their needs so they will be successful in the school setting. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), institutions of higher learning are only required to make reasonable accommodations that will provide the student with equal access to the institution’s programs, services and activities. Unlike high school accommodations, the reasonable accommodations post-secondary institutions provide ensure access, not success, and will not fundamentally alter classes or programs.

Back to Top ↑