1. How can students retrieve their Dolphin login information in order to access their myCI student portal?

The Dolphin login information was e-mailed to the address provided on the student’s admission application. If it cannot be located, students must send a request to admissions@csuci.edu from the same email they provided on their Cal State Apply admission application. In the email, the student must state their full legal first name, last name, and student ID number. We are unable to reply to messages sent from an email account that differs from the one the student provided when applying for admission. This is because we must validate a student’s identity before releasing confidential information about a student’s account.

2. Where does a student find their Dolphin student ID number?

A student’s ID number is printed on the bottom right corner of our offer of admission letter. In addition, students may find their ID number on their student portal (myCI). Once in myCI records, click the link “Demographic Data” under personal information. This is where students will see their student ID number.

3. What should a provisionally admitted freshman do if the student

(a) is no longer taking a course as listed on the admissions application,

(b) is deficient in an “a-g” college-prep subject requirement, or

(c) did not pass or anticipates not passing a required course to maintain eligibility for admission?

Once an application has been submitted, it cannot be changed. Please do not contact us with updated information. We will determine final admissibility based on the student’s final transcript. Students must meet all CSU requirements in order to be granted full admission to the university. Please refer to the following webpage for specific admission requirements: go.csuci.edu/FreshmanApply

In order to maintain eligibility to attend CSUCI, students must re-take or make-up any “a-g” requirement in which a non-passing grade (“D” or “F”) was received. Students may NOT make up an admission requirement during the summer following high school graduation. Options to re-take or make-up an “a-g” course include:

  • re-taking the course at the student’s current high school or local community college;
  • taking an additional course in the same “a-g” subject area at the student’s current high school or local community college to make up the failing grade (D or F);
  • taking an online course (e.g., through a California online high school, U.C. Scout, BYU Online, etc.) in the appropriate “a-g” subject area. Scout courses, offered through the University of California, help students satisfy their “a-g” subject requirements so they can meet the UC and CSU admission requirements. For more information, visit www.ucscout.org/ Courses that cannot be completed online are sciences that require a lab.  Please consult the following website for guidance on selecting an appropriate “a-g” course: https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist
  • Consult your high school counselor for further guidance.

4. When will students meet with an academic advisor and receive help in selecting their courses?

Students will meet with an academic advisor and register for classes when they attend new student orientation during the summer.

5. What does the yellow triangle mean? When will it go away?

After you submit your intent to enroll, a “yellow triangle” will appear in your Student Center. You can ignore the yellow triangle, but you must pay close attention to items on your To Do list. If action is required on your part, it will be noted on the To Do list. That list can be found on the right-hand side of your Student Center page.

6. Is on-campus housing guaranteed? How and when can I apply for on-campus housing? 

On-campus housing is guaranteed to all new students that apply for housing by the priority deadline. We are committed to accommodating all freshmen who apply for on-campus housing. Housing application instructions can be found here: https://www.csuci.edu/housing/apply/index.htm

7. Can a freshman applicant validate a class by doing better in a second semester?

Yes, for some “a-g” subjects; no for others. The following rules are provided by subject area. 


A grade “C-” or higher in the second semester will validate a “D” or “F” in the first semester.

Language Other Than English (LOTE)

  • A grade of “C-” or higher in the second semester of a year-long course will validate a “D” or “F” in the first semester.
  • A grade of “C-” or higher in a higher-level course will validate a lower-level course. A higher-level LOTE course can validate the appropriate number of years based on the level. Example: A grade of “C-“ or higher in the second semester of Spanish II will validate the entire LOTE series.
  • The two years of LOTE requirement can be validated by completing a college-level LOTE course with a grade of “C-” or higher AND IF that course is equivalent to two years of high school study.


  • A grade of “C-” or higher in the second semester of a year-long course will validate a “D” or “F” in the first semester of that same course.
  • A grade of “C-” or higher in the first semester of Intermediate Algebra (Algebra II) validates both semesters of Beginning Algebra (Algebra I).
  • A grade of “C-” or higher in the second semester of Geometry validates both semesters of Geometry.
  • A grade of “C-“ or higher in Intermediate Algebra will not validate a “D” or “F” in Geometry.
  • A grade of “C-”or higher in a Statistics course will validate Algebra I and Algebra II but will not validate Geometry.
  • Statistics may be used to validate Algebra I and Intermediate Algebra but will not validate Geometry.
  • A grade of “C-” or higher in an advanced math course (e.g., Trigonometry, Pre- Calculus, Calculus, Math IV) validates the entire three-year math requirement.

Note: Integrated Math Series will be accepted in lieu of Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra II. A grade of “C-“ or higher in Integrated Math 2 will validate Integrated Math 1, and a grade of “C-“ or higher in Integrated Math 3 will validate Integrated Math 2. A grade of “C-“ or higher in statistics may be used to complete a sequence when Integrated Mathematics courses are offered (i.e., Math 1, Math II, and Statistics).

Other Subjects

A grade of “D” or “F” in English, history/social science, laboratory science (except chemistry), or visual and performing arts cannot be validated by subsequent coursework. Students are advised to consult their high school counselor for guidance in selecting an appropriate course (or repeating the course) to make up the subject deficiency.

CI Campus Preview Days

Saturday Dolphin Tours

Saturday Dolphin Tours provide future freshman and transfer students an opportunity to visit campus and discover more about CI.

Learn more about Saturday Dolphin Tours

Back to Top ↑