There are answers to a variety of frequently asked questions on this page, including those listed in each category below:

Application Process

Q: I am a freshman/transfer student – how do I apply for housing?

A: Students who received an offer of provisional admission to CSU Channel Islands must complete a 3-step intent to enroll process. Instructions for doing so, along with the intent to enroll deadline, may be found in the Enrollment Guide that accompanied the offer of provisional admissions. Electronic Versions may be found here:

After completing the intent to enroll, the Housing application will become available through myCI. In order to complete an online housing application, the $50 non-refundable housing application fee is required. It must be paid online prior to submission of the housing application.

For more information, please see our Application page.

[back to top]

Q: I filled out the online application; how can I be sure you have received it?

A: Once you have completed and submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation page. This confirms your application was received. An application confirmation receipt will be sent to your Dolphin email account.

You must pay the non-refundable $50 housing application fee online before submitting your application.

A signed license agreement and your Housing deposit must be received by the priority application deadline to confirm accommodations. If either is received after the deadline, you may be placed on a waiting list.

[back to top]

Q: What if I need specific accommodations based upon my disability need?

A: CSU Channel Islands has a strong commitment to providing access to the University for all students and we have numerous apartments and suites that are ADA accessible. Students requiring special accommodations may apply based upon disability need via submission of the Disability Housing Accommodations Form, found on our Resources & Forms page. Completed forms must be received by the due dates. Failure to file a complete application by the due date will delay the review of the request and accommodations may not be available. Please visit the Disability Accommodations & Support Services (DASS) website for more information.

[back to top]

Q: Is the $50 housing application fee refundable?

A: This is a processing fee and is non-refundable.

[back to top]

Q: Is on-campus housing guaranteed if I turn in the application?

A: Students who have submitted their housing application, license agreement, and made the housing deposit payment by the priority application deadline will be given priority for a bed space. Priority for a specific room assignment is determined by lottery for all students who meet the priority application deadline. Students applying after the priority deadline will be placed on a waiting list and will be assigned after all students who met the priority deadline have been accommodated.

[back to top]

Q: Is a Housing License Agreement required to be signed to live on campus?

A: Yes, all students must review and electronically sign a contract (minors will have their guardian sign the contract and submit with a physical signature to HRE), referred to as a housing license agreement, to live on campus. The license agreement outlines all obligations of both the student and the University with respect to living on campus. For your reference, a copy of the full license agreement is available on our Housing website.

[back to top]

Q: How will I receive communication from Student Housing regarding my status in the applicant to resident process?

A: Our primary means of communication is the University-issued email address, referred to as Dolphin Email or myCI. We suggest you check your account frequently.

[back to top]

Q: How do I request to cancel or amend my License Agreement?

The HRE License Agreement is very much like a lease you would sign for an apartment off campus and is binding for the entire academic year. Release from the License Agreement is only allowed in the following situations: end of CSU Channel Islands student status, marriage, and extreme hardship.

Releases are never allowed simply because someone would rather live off campus. Requests for release are reviewed and decisions are communicated in a meeting or via email, depending upon the situation. To request a release sign into myCI and select the Student Housing link.

[back to top]

Money Matters

Q: What is the cost of living in student housing and what does that include?

A: We are proud to offer excellent facilities and programs at a rate that is competitive with living accommodations off campus that do not offer the same convenience and social and educational experiences. Please see the Accommodations & Rates page for the current housing rates and additional information.

The rates include the following:

  • Your bed space (shared bedroom in Santa Rosa & Santa Cruz, shared or private bedroom in Anacapa, shared bedroom in Town Center).
  • All utilities: Trash and recycling pick up, water, electricity, gas/steam, Internet connectivity, and cable television.
  • Maintenance services for the general upkeep of your suite or apartment and its amenities to maintain good operating condition.
  • Programs and activities which make living on campus such a fun, educational, and memorable experience. Most programs and activities are made available at no charge to our residents.
  • Use of a variety of community spaces including lounges, computer labs, study and meeting rooms, art and dance studios, exercise room, pool, and spa.
  • 24-hour staff support to assist with questions and issues related to your on-campus experience and to respond to emergency concerns as needed. 

[back to top]

Q: What does it cost to live off-campus in the city of Camarillo?

A: For informational purposes only, this rental rate estimate is provided in accordance with California Assembly Bill 990 which specifies that all CSU and UC campuses provide the typical market cost of a one-bedroom apartment in their local area. In the city of Camarillo, an average one-bedroom rental rate averages at $2,282 per month (not including utilities) as of September 2022 by Actual costs of room and board will vary. Many students living off-campus have roommates, which decreases their housing costs.

We hope that you will consider all the opportunities of living on campus which are not typically provided for students that live off-campus, such as the large number of programs, services, and 24-hour support that we provide. Also, it is easy to underestimate many hidden costs of renting off campus that can add up quickly such as gas, electric, cable, internet, and increased transportation costs. You can find more information about the benefits of living on campus by reviewing our website, and checking out the brief summary above where we talk about the cost of on-campus room and board.

[back to top]

Q: Do you have a payment plan?

A: Yes, we offer a Housing Installment Payment Plan (HIPP). The HIPP is a 3-payment plan in the fall, and a 4-payment plan in the spring. Please see the Payment Options & Deadlines page for more information.

[back to top]

Q:Can I use financial aid be to cover housing payments?

A: Yes, you may utilize your financial aid awards to cover housing expenses. Your financial aid awards cover the cost of tuition fees first. After tuition fees are covered, your financial aid awards are applied to Student Housing and lastly to any outstanding balances on your account. Students must check their account information through myCI or call the Financial Aid office at 805-437-8530 to ensure that their aid has been posted as accepted. Students are encouraged to apply early for financial aid, and respond quickly to every request for information from the Financial Aid office or from loan providers. Please note financial aid funds 10 calendar days prior to the first day of the semester.

[back to top]

Q: What do I do if my financial aid does not cover all of my housing expenses?

A: Any fees not covered by financial aid must be paid by the due date of the term. Students who owe more than $3,000 out-of-pocket may opt to select a Housing Installment Payment Plan (HIPP) to pay the balance in more than one installment. The University applies your financial aid first to registration and student fees, second to housing fees, and third to any other outstanding payments that may be due.

Students wishing to use financial aid to pay for room and board fees must:

  1. Apply for Financial Aid on or before the Priority Filing Deadline.
  2. Provide any requested documents to the Financial Aid office before the deadline.
  3. For students desiring to use loan funds, all loan requirements should be completed as soon as possible and before the deadline.

Students who do not meet deadlines must be prepared to cover University fees through personal resources until which time financial aid can be fully processed, awarded, and funded.

Students whose financial aid is not posted in time are encouraged to sign up for a Housing Installment Payment Plan (HIPP) and a Tuition Installment Payment Plan (TIPP) online in myCI to reduce payments required out-of-pocket prior to the funding of financial aid. Students are responsible to pay any amounts due on payment due dates until your account is paid in full. Students must check their account information through myCI to determine if financial aid has been applied. Please see our Payment Options & Deadlines page for more information.

[back to top]

Q: Will I receive regular billing statements regarding payment amounts and designated due dates?

A: NO. It is the responsibility of the student to make necessary payment(s) by the published payment deadlines as outlined on the Student Business Services website and in the HIPP and TIPP. Late payments are subject to a $25 late fee and the placement of a hold on university records and services. Further, it is the responsibility of the student to check their myCI account regularly to remain up-to-date on their student account status. Please see our Payment Options & Deadlines page for more information.

[back to top]

Q: How do I request a refund from housing, if I have overpaid?

A: If you believe you are eligible to receive a refund due to overpayment, your account will display a credit for the overpaid amount. If your account displays a credit, Student Business Services (SBS) will issue you a refund check. You will not need to request a refund from Student Housing or from SBS. Please be advised that SBS can only issue a refund check if the account shows a balance of zero plus the amount that you overpaid. If there is an outstanding balance on your account, any overpayments will be applied to that balance.

[back to top]

Q: Who do I write my check out to?

A: Make checks payable to CSUCI and send them to:

Attn: Student Business Services

CSU Channel Islands
One University Drive
Camarillo, CA  93012

Please send all student housing payments to the Student Business Services office. Sending your payment to Housing & Residential Education may delay payment processing. To ensure proper processing, include your name and your nine-digit student ID number.

[back to top]

Living Arrangements

Q: Will I have roommates?

Anacapa Village: Yes. Our Anacapa apartment floor plan includes a four-bedroom, two bath apartment set up to accommodate four to six students. Typically, each apartment has four single person occupancy bedrooms.

Santa Cruz Village: Yes. The majority of our two-bedroom suites are designed for double occupancy accommodations per each bedroom, allowing four students per suite. Each suite has a bathroom.

Santa Rosa Village: Yes. The majority of our bedrooms are double occupancy, with some single occupancy available.

Town Center: Yes, in most apartments. There are very limited single occupancy studios. In one-bedroom apartments there will be single and double occupancy options. Two-bedroom apartments have the small bedroom in single occupancy and large bedroom in double occupancy.

[back to top]

Q: Who is my roommate?

Information regarding names and contact information of your assigned roommate(s) will be available via your myCI Student Housing link once posted. We encourage you to contact them prior to moving in to coordinate what each of you will bring or simply to get to know each other! Please note roommate assignments are not final until move-in day and may change prior to move-in for administrative reasons.

[back to top]

Q: Can I choose my roommate(s) for next year?

A: Our primary housing accommodation types include single bedrooms in a four bedroom apartment in Anacapa Village, single and shared bedrooms in one and two bedroom apartments in Town Center, single and shared bedrooms in two bedroom suites in Santa Cruz Village, and single and shared bedrooms in Santa Rosa Village with community bathrooms. You may request roommate(s) if you have a shared space accommodation. We make every possible effort to place students with mutual requests. Roommate preferences are made via your online housing application - select 'Search for Roommates'. Roommate requests can be made after the initial submission of your housing application, but must be submitted by the deadline to be considered. Please keep in mind the following important requirements when making a roommate request:

  • You can search for potential roommates by their Dolphin name, matching profiles, or by specific profile questions.
  • Before you can use profile matching or questions, you must build your own profile. Then, select 'Include in roommate searching process'.
  • Spelling counts! If you misspell a name or give an incorrect Dolphin name you will not find the person using the search feature. You must have the correct spelling of your requested roommate’s name as it is reflecting in their CSUCI student record. For example, Bill Smith may show as ‘William Smith’. Make sure to include the three-digits following the student's name (which is the part of their myCI email address before the @ sign). For example: johnathan.doe123. For best results, please confirm the accurate spelling of your preferred roommate’s name prior to completing your housing application.
  • If you or the person you are searching for does not have a completed Housing application, a paid deposit or fee deferral, AND a signed license agreement, you will not find each other using the search feature.
  • If the person you are searching for is not eligible for the same room type as you, you may not find them using the search feature.
  • If you selected a mixed-gender room assignment preference, you will only be able to search for students who also selected that preference.
  • For roommate requests to be considered, all parties must accept each other's request in the Housing portal no later than the designated deadline date. NOTE: Unconfirmed roommate requests, or matching roommate requests which exceed the capacity of the room, cannot be honored.
  • CSUCI is not able to provide or confirm information regarding another students' Housing status or name spelling.

[back to top]

Q: Will I know who my roommates are before the move-in date?

A: For students who meet the application and license agreement deadline, roommate assignments will be completed and disseminated via email and on the student housing portal in early to mid August.

All other applicants (Freshmen, Transfers, International Students, Returning CSUCI Students) that submitted a housing application after the priority application deadline will be accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis according to space availability. Information applicable to room assignment location and bed type will be communicated as assignments are made.

[back to top]

Q: Are the residence halls co-ed?

A: The residence halls are co-ed in the sense that there may be students of different genders living in the same floor, hallway, pod, or building together. The default room assignment preference in the Housing application is to reside in a gender-specific room, suite, or apartment. However, the Housing application features the ability for students to select from multiple gender room assignment preferences, described as:

  • Gender-specific: Room selection with shared rooms, suites, and/or apartments assigned according to birth sex; males with males or females with females. This is the default setting in the application.
  • Mixed-gender: You prefer to live with student(s) of different sex or gender in the same room, suite, and/or apartment. HRE places no restrictions on the gender of your roommate(s) or suite/apartment-mate(s).

Students interested in mixed-gender Housing must apply following the same processes and deadlines of all applicants. Selection of mixed-gender assignment preference will allow for other applicants who have selected the same gender assignment preference to be included with roommate groups. Students are not required to explain their interest in a mixed-gender accommodations.

Please note the following:

  • If there is a vacancy in a mixed-gender assignment, HRE will attempt to fill the vacancy by assigning student(s) who are interesting in living in a mixed-gender space to the accommodations.
  • If HRE is unable to fill the vacancy, we may relocate the remaining residents to another assignment within the same village to accommodate a mixed-gender preference, as available, or convert the mixed-gender bedroom, apartment, or suite, normally occupied by two students, to a single-sex assignment to consolidate and fill the vacancy.

Mixed-gender Housing options provide students increased choice in selecting roommates in order to respect and support the various needs of our students. In addition, it provides more options for students who do not wish to live in traditional room arrangements. This further demonstrates support for the college's non-discrimination policy with respect to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.

If you have additional questions or want more information about our assignment or Housing options, please contact or 805-437-2733.

[back to top]

Q: What should I bring?

Santa Rosa Village: Your suite is furnished with bedroom furniture, a ceiling fan, and one cube sized mini-fridge. Each family room in Santa Rosa Village provides a full-size refrigerator, microwave, toaster, blender, and Keurig coffee maker. Microwaves, coffee machines, and cooking appliances are not permitted within residents’ rooms.  

The following are our suggestions of some items you might want to bring.

Bedroom includes: ceiling fan, extra-long twin bed and mattress, three stackable drawers, shared closet, lockable file cabinet, desk, and desk chair.

What to bring: extra-long twin size sheets, blanket, pillow, study lamp, fan, iron, alarm clock, pad-lock (to lock file cabinet), and personal computer.

Community bathroom includes: toilet, toilet paper, shower, shower curtain, robe hook, mirror, counter top, sink, and towel rack. Our custodians will clean the bathrooms/showers. Items left behind will be discarded.

What to bring: shower caddie, toiletries, towels, bathrobe, and slippers.

Family room includes: Keurig coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, sink, toaster, blender, can opener, dish rack, and cupboards. Food preparation should only take place in the Community Kitchen and Family Room kitchen area. Dish towels and hot pads will be provided.

What to bring: paper plates, bowls, plastic eating utensils, cup, K-cups.

Santa Cruz Village : Your suite is furnished, and includes mini-refrigerator and microwave in the suite’s common area. Please note, due to our commitment to sustainability, do not bring an additional mini-refrigerator or microwave. We have a limited number of mini-refrigerators and microwaves allowed in each suite. Please refer to the Energy Conservation Community Living standard for guidelines.

The following are our suggestions of some items you might want to bring, or correspond with your roommates about bringing to your new suite.

Bedroom includes: extra-long bed and mattress, three stackable drawers, shared closet, lockable file cabinet, desk, and desk chair.

What to bring: extra-long twin size sheets, blanket, pillow, study lamp, fan, iron, alarm clock, television, paddle lock, and personal computer.

Bathroom includes: toilet, shower, shower curtain, mirror, cabinet, sink, towel rack.

What to bring: toiletries, toilet paper, towels, trash can, and non-corrosive cleaning supplies.

Storage area includes: shelving for food storage.

What to bring: paper plates, plastic eating utensils.

Anacapa Village : Your apartment will be fully furnished, including all major kitchen appliances. The following are our suggestions of some items you might want to bring, or correspond with your roommates about bringing to your new apartment.

Bedroom includes: bed, dresser/stackable drawers, closet, file cabinet, desk, and desk chair.

What to bring: sheets (extra-long twin size), blanket, bedspread, pillow, study lamp, fan, iron, alarm clock, television, and personal computer.

Bathroom includes: toilet, shower, shower curtain, mirror, cabinet, sink, towel rack.

What to bring: toiletries, toilet paper, towels, wastebasket, and non-corrosive cleaning supplies.

Food preparation and storage area includes: refrigerator, freezer, microwave, stove and oven, cabinets, pantry closet, dishwasher, trash bin and recycle bin, kitchen table, and three chairs.

What to bring: dishes, pots & pans, silverware, glasses, cups, ice cube trays, dishwasher soap and dishwashing soap, and non-corrosive cleaning supplies.

Living room area includes: coffee table, sofa, two armchairs, and end table.

What to bring: television.

Town Center: Your apartment is furnished, including all major kitchen appliances. The following are our suggestions of some items you might want to bring, or correspond with your roommates about bringing to your new apartment.

Bedroom includes: bed, dresser, closet, file cabinet, desk, and desk chair

What to bring: extra-long twin size sheets, blanket, pillow, study lamp, fan, iron, alarm clock, television, and personal computer.

Bathroom includes: toilet, shower, shower curtain, mirror, cabinet, sink, towel rack.

What to bring: toiletries, toilet paper, towels, trash can, and non-corrosive cleaning supplies.

Food preparation and storage area includes: refrigerator, freezer, microwave, stove and oven, cabinets, pantry closet, dishwasher, trash bin and recycle bin, washer and dryer.

What to bring: dishes, pots & pans, silverware, glasses, cups, ice cube trays, dishwasher soap and dishwashing soap, and non-corrosive cleaning supplies.

Living room area may include: coffee table or end table, sofa or two armchairs, and may include bar stools or kitchen table and chairs.

What to bring: television.

[back to top]

Q:How do I know if I should bring shared items for my room or if my roommate is bringing them?

A: Once the roommate matching process is complete, you will receive the contact information of your apartment-mates, roommate(s), or suite-mates. You will have the opportunity to contact each of them via email and coordinate items each roommate will bring and/or can share in purchasing. We advise all residents to hold off on purchasing shared items until contact has been made with all roommates. You can view our Move-In Information page to see what items are included or not included in your bedroom, suite, or apartment.

[back to top]

Q: What about decorating my room?

Your room has been professionally designed with decorator paint, floor coverings, and window blinds. You may bring items from home to personalize your space, but remember the rooms will be used for years to come, so please take care in choosing décor which makes it easy to return the room to its original move in condition. Refrain from using pins, nails, tape, glue, etc.  We recommend using Dorm Tape. CommandTM strips may not be used in Santa Rosa.

For decorating and storage purposes you may want to know the dimensions of your room. Please use these room dimensions as a guide only.

Anacapa Apartment approximate measurements:

A and D bedroom: 8' 10 x 11' 2

B and C bedroom: 9' 10 x 9' 8

Living room: 11' x 11' 8

Typical Windows: Length: 4’ 11 Width: 2’ 10

Santa Cruz Bedroom approximate measurements:

Double-Double (4 persons to a two bedroom suite):  12' 7 x 10' 8

Single-Double (2 person room):  14’ 3 x 10’

Single (1 person single): 7’10 x 10’

Santa Rosa Bedroom approximate measurements:

Suite: 10’2 x 16’6

Accessible bedroom: 9’ x 17’

[back to top]

Q: What amenities are provided in each village?

Santa Rosa Village has study rooms, family rooms, mail room, laundry room, community kitchen and living rooms. Anacapa, Town Center, and Santa Cruz residents can visit the HRE main office to gain access to Santa Rosa Village common areas.

Santa Cruz Village has laundry facilities, vending machines, music practice rooms, a dance studio, art studio, exercise workout room, gaming room, game room, computer lab, and television lounges. A fully equipped exercise room is also just steps away!

Residents of Anacapa Village, Town Center, and Santa Rosa also have access to all common areas within Santa Cruz Village.  

Anacapa Village is home to The Commons, laundry facilities, vending machine areas, a swimming pool, spa, computer labs, study rooms, presentation room, surfboard storage, and built in barbeque.

Santa Cruz, Town Center, and Santa Rosa residents also have access to all common areas within Anacapa Village. 

Town Center has a program room with a printer, lounge area, tables and chairs, and is adjacent to the HRE Town Center front office in 103B, which faces Rincon Drive parking lot.

[back to top]

Q: Once I’ve moved in, will there be any occasions when I may need to move again?

Housing & Residential Education reserves the right to relocate individuals as needed. We will make every attempt to keep relocations to a minimum. Relocations may also be initiated for facility, emergency or disciplinary reasons.

Although students are required to move out of student housing when the campus is closed, you may leave your items in your room and only take what you want while you are gone. Students requiring residence during campus closure will need to submit an Alternative Stay request, minimally 14 days prior to winter break. To submit a request, sign onto myCI, select Student Housing link, then select Alternative Stay.

[back to top]

Q: What if I do not like the room I am in when I move in?

A: There is a mandatory two-week waiting period after the start of the semester before we accept requests for room changes. This time period allows for students to become acclimated to their new environment and acquainted with one another. During this settling-in period, we encourage students to make their best effort to get to know their roommate(s), learning each other’s similarities and differences, and to communicate with each other respectfully. If an issue is not resolved by speaking to the roommate(s) directly, the resident may then consult with their RA for further guidance. 

[back to top]

Q: Do students need to be vaccinated to live in student housing?

A: CSU has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all students or a medical/religious exemption on file. There is no additional or special requirement for students who will live on campus with respect to the vaccine. Two exemption options exist to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement: 1) Medical Exemption – based on a student’s health condition, their health care provider has advised against taking the vaccine due to their condition, OR 2) Religious exemption – taking the vaccine is at odds with a student’s earnest religious belief, value, or practice.

[back to top]

Q: May I increase my meal plan during the school year?

Resident students may upgrade from the Basic Plan to the Enhanced or Premier Plans at any time during the semester. To request a meal plan upgrade, please submit your request via email to Please include your name, student ID number, and the nature of your request. A charge for the increased meal plan will be posted to your student account. Payment is due to the Student Business Services office 30 days after the charge posts to your account.

Can I use Dolphin Dollars/Flex Cash to purchase meals?

Yes, meals at Islands Café may also be purchased with Dolphin Dollars once the Islands Café meal balance is exhausted. Dolphin Dollars is a declining balance account. Additional funds may be added to your dolphin dollars balance at any time throughout the year through use of DOCK or fill station, located in Town Center Market or Broome Library. If Islands Café meal account credits are exhausted before the end of the semester, students may use dolphin dollars to purchase meals at the published student meal rate. Until further notice, resident who elect to add additional funds to their dolphin dollar balance should do so through the following online method, .

Please note that since the meal plan is required for all resident students, decreases to the meal plan are not allowed. Islands Café Meal account balances expire at the end of each semester, so students are encouraged to take full advantage of the plan by spending their meal accounts to a zero balance by at the end of each semester. Dolphin dollar balances carry over from fall to spring semester and expires the last Friday of the spring semester.

Meal Plan Exemptions are considered and are typically only approved for significant and documented dietary or religious reasons. The deadline to apply for an exemption is July 1 for fall semester and December 1 for spring semester.

[back to top]

Q: Is parking available for residents?

A: There are student housing (SH) parking lots adjacent to all student housing accommodations. Resident Students will need to purchase an SH parking permit online from the Transportation & Parking Services office. If a guest will be parking on campus for a short amount of time, we suggest that they park in metered or visitor parking spots. Parking regulations are enforced at all times. Please know space is limited. Students are encouraged to purchase their SH parking permit prior to moving in, as there is not grace period with parking on campus without a permit.

[back to top]

Q: May I stay on campus over a holiday break? What about the summer?

We provide students with legitimate cause the opportunity to arrive prior to the academic year, remain on campus during winter break and University holiday periods, and in some cases following graduation. This is known as an Alternative Stay, and there is an additional charge for this period, which equates to the daily rate of the HRE License Agreement. A request must be completed no later than 14 days prior to the requested extension period. To submit a request, sign onto myCI, select Student Housing link, then select Alternative Stay. Residents approved to reside within housing outside of the license agreement dates may access their assigned bedrooms, apartments and/or suites, and the Village common areas during operational hours.

We also offer summer residency for students who are working on campus at CSU Channel Islands or who desire to stay in the local community. A separate Summer HRE License Agreement is required. To apply for summer license agreement, sign onto myCI, select Student Housing link, then select Summer.

[back to top]

Q: How do I request to transfer to another apartment or suite?

In the event that you experience conflicts with your roommates, we urge you to follow the suggestions outlined in the Roommate Mediation & Conflict Resolution section of this handbook. To learn more about the room change process, please refer to the Room Changes section. Until further notice, room changes will be minimal and, when possible, based on extenuating circumstances.

[back to top]

Q: How can I request repair for my apartment or suite?

If your apartment or suite is in need of repair or service, you may submit a work order request online via, select Maintenance & Key Requests. An individual work order request needs to be filled out for each request. Note: Until further notice, residents must wear a mask and maintain physical distance whenever a campus staff member enters their room, apartment, or suite when in the same room. Students may remove their masks if they relocate to a different room separated by a wall and a door. Residents may also leave the apartment, room, or suite when the campus staff member is present for maintenance or custodial concerns.

[back to top]

Q: Am I responsible for damages to my apartment?

When you move into your apartment, you and your roommate(s) are responsible for validating an online Room Inventory Inspection form within the first 72 hours after check-in. Provide a detailed description of the condition of your room when you moved in, including cleanliness, damage, and furniture. 

When you check out, HRE will refer to the Room Inventory Inspection to compare the condition of your room upon check out to the recorded condition at move-in. If there are damages, including missing furniture or lack of cleanliness, a charge will be assessed. The charge will be assessed to the responsible party(s) student account. In the event we cannot determine who is responsible, all residents will be billed equally. A detailed list of damages and charges is provided in this handbook.

It is very important to report damages immediately as they occur in order to rectify the problem and address the student(s) responsible. HRE staff will conduct regular safety inspections to assist in the assessment of potential damages before the end of the year.

[back to top]

Q: Is there anything I can do to decrease my Administrative Sanction?

We strongly encourage residents to use good judgment in their behavior. conduct process is designed to remind students of their responsibility for community living and to discourage repeated violations. On rare occasions the Senior Director of Residential Education will offer the opportunity to lessen the administrative sanction to residents who have received a Notification of Removal. The opportunity for administrative adjustments is not offered to residents who have received probation or less. HRE encourages students to take all policies and potential consequences seriously as they will have a significant impact on one’s ability to live on campus. Since the conduct process is designed to be educational, our aim is to increase and improve awareness and accountability to effective community living.

[back to top]

COVID-19 Procedures and Protocols

Q: What is the protocol if a resident with roommates]is exposed to Covid-19?

As of June 9, 2022 California Department of Public Health guidelines no longer recommend quarantine for individuals without symptoms following an exposure to a person who tested positive for COVID-19. Following an exposure to someone with COVID-19, residents should wear a well-fitting mask around others for a total of 10 days following the exposure, especially in indoor settings and when near those at higher risk for severe COVID-19 disease, and test as soon as possible and again within 3-5 days. If a resident develops symptoms at any point following an exposure, they should test as soon as possible, isolate from others regardless of their test results, and report their symptoms to the Environmental Health & Safety office

[back to top]

Q: What is the protocol if a student has a breakthrough infection?

All students who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to isolate for between 5 and 10 days from the date their symptoms started (or from the date they tested positive if they are symptomatic). A positive test result should be reported to the Environmental Health & Safety office as soon as possible. The length of your isolation is determined by the COVID-19 Case Management team in the Environmental Health & Safety office; failure to comply with COVID-19 isolation instructions from the Environmental Health & Safety office will result in a disciplinary referral to the Dean of Students office. 

[back to top]

Q: If a student has to isolate, where does that occur?

Housing & Residential Education has designated rooms in one building in Santa Rosa Village for residents required to isolate. Alternatively, if a resident has a location where they can isolate off campus such as their family home, they may do so provided that they are able to stay at their off-campus location through their isolation period. Residents are required to comply with COVID-19 isolation instructions from the Environmental Health & Safety office; leaving an on-campus isolation space or returning from off-campus isolation without clearance from the Environmental Health & Safety office will result in a disciplinary referral to the Dean of Students office. 

[back to top]

Q: Will meals be delivered to students required to quarantine or isolate?

Yes, students relocated to Santa Rosa Village to isolate will have meals delivered and deducted from the student’s meal plan during university-directed quarantine or isolation. Housing and university partners will work with the student to provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner according to the student’s request. Housing also works closely with CSUCI’s Basic Needs staff to provide supplemental items such as soup, snacks, bread, hygiene, and cleaning supplies. 

[back to top]

Q: Who will perform welfare/medical checks?

In cases of emergency, we encourage the student to immediately call 911, which is routed directly to campus police if they need immediate medical assistance. For questions about the isolation process, the student can contact the Environmental Health & Safety Office at or 805-437-3550; off-hours and weekend questions should be direct to Additionally, staff will have regular contact through the meal delivery process. If a student is experiencing difficulty when attempting to deliver meals, the staff member providing the meal will notify our staff member on call, who will contact the student. In addition to meal delivery, either a Housing or designated university staff member will periodically reach out to the student to check in, inquire if they need anything, and answer questions. 

[back to top]

Q: Are resident students allowed to leave campus to return home for isolation?

Although we have set aside space for students required to isolate, students can depart from campus to isolate themselves in their preferred space. In doing so, they should give careful thought to the potential for impact to others in the residence where they will isolate who may be more vulnerable to the presence of COVID-19. Students who choose to leave campus should still adhere to all health orders and not return to campus or student housing until cleared; returning from off-campus isolation without clearance from the Environmental Health & Safety office will result in a disciplinary referral to the Dean of Students office. 

[back to top]

Back to Top ↑